New York Re-Adoption Attorney

Re-Adoption & Validation of Foreign Adoptions

Did you know that New York provides for validation of your child's foreign adoption? If you have adopted a child from another country, New York also permits the "re-adoption" of your child in compliance with relevant state and federal adoption laws.

  • Validation or registration is the process of submitting an adopted child's foreign adoption decree for state court approval.
  • Re-adoption is the process of adopting a child who has already been adopted in another jurisdiction (the foreign country's court).

Although they are two separate processes, they both require the state court to review and legitimize the foreign adoption. It is important to understand that the process required for your child may depend upon the country the child was born in and adopted from, and a New York adoption attorney from our firm can help you deal with every nuance of these laws. The type of United States visa that the adopted child held when entering the United States may also dictate which process you should complete.

Our re-adoption lawyers also receive questions from families about obtaining a New York birth certification for their child. Both registration and re-adoption can allow you to apply to the New York State Department of Health and Vital Records for a New York Certificate of Birth Data. Each process will also allow you to change your child's name if you so desire. If you want to learn more, reach out today to speak with a re-adoption lawyer. We serve Garden City, Roslyn, NY and surrounding areas.

In the News

Protect Yourself from Unpredictable Political Situations

In early 2013, Russia's President Vladimir Putin acted to pass a measure that would ban the adoption of Russian children by U.S. families. This serves to highlight the importance of re-adopting your child under state and federal law. For families that have adopted from a foreign country, re-adopting your child through the local state courts will protect you should these types of situations ever arise in the country from which your child was adopted. Re-adoption within the New York Courts will supersede the foreign adoption and will protect your foreign adoption, your child, and your family.

Additional Post-Adoption Matters

Please contact our firm if you previously adopted your child 5, 10, or even 15 years ago and did not complete his or her U.S. immigration post-adoption procedures - particularly if you did not file for your child's citizenship/naturalization certificate (lawful permanent resident to naturalized citizen).

Here are some reasons why you need to make sure your adopted child becomes a U.S. citizen:

  • College and employment opportunities
  • College financial aid programs require proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Many of the younger children who have been adopted are now protected by law, by some older adoptees may not be protected. Adoptees who are not covered by the statutes in 2000 may be at risk for deportation if they get into trouble with the law. That is why it is so crucial that adoptees become lawful permanent residents.

Obtaining U.S. citizenship for your child requires the submission of forms, supporting paperwork, and communication with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to ensure that you have an appointment for your child's certificate of naturalization. Even if your child is an adult, you may still file forms in relation to adoption.

Learn More About Re-Adoption

At Greenberg & Greenberg, our New York adoption attorneys have been guiding U.S. families through the legal procedures needed to validate their foreign adoption for nearly 40 years.

If you would like additional information about registration of a foreign adoption, re-adoption, or any adoption-related matter, contact our firm today.